All employees hired for lifeguard, instructor, or coaching positions are required to be Lifeguard/ CPR/ First Aid/ AED certified. Employees are responsible for completing (or maintaining) this training prior to beginning their employment at Overlee. Employees are hired based on this certification, therefore failure to complete training will affect employment status. Lifeguarding certifications are good for 2 years. You must take re-certification classes before your certification expires.
You may complete your training at Overlee or another organization but it must be completed prior to employment.
Swim Instructor Certification (Guards, Instructors & Coaches)
The Commonwealth of Virginia requires all Guards, Coaches and Swim Instructors fifteen (15) years of age to complete a swim instructor training class BEFORE they can work.
- Online classes (see below)
- Overlee refunds course fee (up to $45)
- Must have Lifeguard certification prior to course
- Certification paperwork needs to be on file before working
Swim Instructor Certificate Approved Classes
Swim Lessons University
|The Foundations of Teaching, Online Video PLUS Exam and Swim Instructor Certification|
Swim 102/103 2nd edition, Online Video PLUS Exam and Swim Instructor Certification
Watch the Swim 102/103 video online (up to 5 views) then successfully complete this online test and you will immediately receive a Certificate of Completion signed by Swim Lessons University president Jim Reiser and WABC president Steve Graves
Spring 2023 Lifeguard Certification Classes @ Overlee
If you know anyone outside of Overlee who is interested in taking the Overlee class please have them email Melissa at email@example.com.
- New Lifeguards:
- You will be enrolled in the lifeguarding blended learning course. You should receive an email directly from Red Cross (actually Salesforce Automation Account <firstname.lastname@example.org>) to go the course.
- You must complete the blended learning course prior to the in class skills (in water) sessions listed below – Once you have emailed Melissa, email@example.com, a class will be sent to you to do the blended learning course by May 1st. Once completed the blended learning portion done, please send Melissa an email.
- You must attend in person water skill days and complete assessments for lifeguarding and CPR to complete the course.
- In person days are May 20-21, 8am-4pm. You must attended both days.
- $300 (Checks Payable To Greg York) *Includes Mask and Manual.
- Lifeguarding Manual
- Re-certification Course:
- You must attend the in person water skill day on Saturday, May 13th 8am-12pm.
- Please email Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org to let her know if you will be taking the class
- $150 (Does not include manual or mask. Please bring these materials with you).
- Mask $15.00 in addition to cost of the class (if necessary).
- Lifeguarding Manual
- Red Cross Lifeguarding Review Videos Or find them on YouTube
BOTH Re-certification and New Certification: To prepare for the class please read/review the Red Cross Lifeguard manual & watch online videos prior to the class. You are responsible for knowing the material in the manual, and completing all required online portions.
Re-certification: Please review the course videos prior to the re-certification class (you can find them on YouTube). Please bring your mask to the class for it is NOT provided. If you do not have a mask one can be purchased at the class for $15. If you do not bring your mask you will be charged for a replacement mask.
On the first day of class please arrive 10 minutes prior to the start time with payment. The class will start promptly at 8:00 am. Please bring a swimsuit and towel. Checks can be made payable to Greg York. If you have any questions please email email@example.com.
Lifeguard Certification Classes by other providers