2020 General Info
Overlee is pleased to offer another summer full of lesson options that will support swimmers of various ability levels.
- Registration online beginning May 1, 2020 for Members and Non-Members. This date may change based on Governor’s Stay In Place directive.
- REGISTER NOW!
- Held weekly Monday – Thursday
- Lessons begin week after APS schools are out (June 18, 2020).
- Morning (10am-11am) and Evening (5pm-7pm) options (depending on enrollment)
- (Water Baby Preschool classes are only offered at 9am)
Each class has clearly defined skills or skill sets that a student must be able to demonstrate in order to advance to the next level. These are called Benchmark Goals. In contrast, Intermediary Goals are intended to celebrate the mastery of more than half of the skills needed to move forward.
Overlee Lessons are organized into three Schools which group students by age and ability into Classes of appropriate size and duration:
- Water Babies Preschool program consists of two levels grouped by age; age nine months to 2.5 years old; 30 minute classes
- Swim School is comprised of three levels ranging from comfort and submersion to rotational breathing and treading. Swim School classes are geared towards swimmers ages 3-8 years old (White level accepting students as young as 2.5 years old); 30 & 45 minute classes
- In Stroke School, swimmers refine freestyle and backstroke and/or learn about breaststroke and butterfly while building endurance. Stroke School classes are intended for more advanced swimmers who are usually 5 years and older (Students may be younger if they are comfortable with the pace of the class); 45 minute classes
See Lesson Levels Page for more detailed info.
In order to track your child’s progress and note their accomplishments, at the end of each session, they will receive a report card with their current level’s goals and lead up skills and certificates for achieving intermediary or benchmark skills. These print outs are meant to support progress by celebrating small victories. Please place their records in a prominent or specific place in your home!
We support active communication between caregiver and instructor through our report cards, but also invite you to speak to instructors (time allowing) as often as possible. Please feel free to speak to your child’s instructor about progress and behavior, but please use the time before and after lessons for communication. We also ask that you allow time for the instructor to speak to you if necessary.
If you are having concerns about your child’s instructor, or their progress or placement, please contact the Lesson Coordinator to address your concerns. There will also be a parent survey available online so that we can use your feedback to continually improve our program.
The Lesson Coordinator will send out periodic emails updating families registered for the current or upcoming session about changes to times, inclement weather, etc. Please make sure to register using an email address that is checked regularly.
Inclement Weather and Class Cancellation
Unfortunately since we’re outside, we must occasionally deal with inclement weather. In the event of thunderstorms, we will have to cancel lessons if the pool closes. We will make the decision to hold or cancel lessons 15 minutes before the start time. We will keep the front desk informed so please call the front desk (703-532-7819) to check in 15 minutes before. If lessons are cancelled, we are unable to offer a refund, as we must pay our instructors for their time. The swim lesson coordinator will also send you updates about the threat of cancellations, and if class is cancelled. Lastly, take advantage of Mobile Weather Alerts and get a text message when pool is closed due to weather.
Classes must be cancelled two weeks (14 days) prior to the class session begins in order to receive a refund.