The success of the Overlee Swim Team depends on its swimmers attending practices on a regular basis. Even more important, regular attendance allows swimmers to build their skills and enjoy their Swim Team community.
Non-Club swimmers must attend a minimum of 2 practices a week and attend all team social events to be considered for Saturday NVSL Dual Meets, the Divisional Relay Carnival, All-Star Relays, the Individual Divisional Meet, or the Individual All-Star Meet. Non-club swimmers should notify coaches in advance if they are unable to make 2 practices a week plus social events, and want to be considered for a meet. This practice requirement can be waived only at the coaches’ discretion based on extenuating circumstances.
Club swimmers must come to at least one practice a week, preferably Technique Day with Coach Beth (which will be the same day each week). Club swimmers should discuss their summer club practice schedule with Coach Katie ahead of regular season so she is informed about attendance. It is especially important for club swimmers to attend all Overlee’s social swim team events if they are only able to attend one Overlee practice a week. Club swimmer should attend half of a Monday night meet if they elect not to swim at the meet to show support and comradery for those who are swimming – especially if they want to swim in Saturday meets.
Practice schedules will be determined prior to the start of each week. Please follow these guidelines throughout the summer:
- Swimmers must come prepared with swim cap, goggles, and fins to every practice.
- Swimmers must attend their age group practices.
- No parents are allowed on deck during practice. The coaches and Swim Team Reps will be glad to talk with you after the last morning practice session of the day or by appointment. Please do not talk with coaches or swimmers during practice. Coaches need to give their full attention to conducting a safe and beneficial workout.
- During some practices and at coaches’ discretion, the coaches may conduct time trials.
- We encourage parents to videotape at meets. However, only coaches will be authorized to videotape practices.
- Any swimmer who sustains an injury of any kind during the season should immediately notify the head coach.